16 September, 2009

Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake

Combine excessive heavy thick dessert-as-dinner with gloom doom sober presidential town hall debate and you will concoct a devil of a poison resulting in indigestion and mental constipation. I baked this recipe chosen by Wee Treats by Tammy for this week and prior to baking was anticipating the oozing caramel complimented by crunchy salty peanuts. My belly is a gaping vacuum never to be filled, and combined with thoughts of this chocolate cake topped with this goop really had my heart aching for it. Let’s get on with the cake!


I followed the recipe in a book, pretty verbatim except some ingredient changes. I used sugar cane syrup instead of corn syrup because that’s really bad for you. I didn’t have plain white sugar so I used sugar in the raw. I grated my cheese because I like grater. It baked for 40 minutes and I used all the caramel sauce, just pouring it over the cake in excess.
The chocolate cake was overpowered by the caramel, I barely tasted the chocolate, I’m convinced .5 oz just isn’t enough, or maybe it has something to do with the grating? I doubt it.


The caramel was a bit too dark, and it would have been perfect if it weren’t for that 5 second turn of the head toward the tv move I pulled. Because literally, one second it was light amber, by the time I turned my head back it was dark. It tasted a bit burnt in the end and it was too strong and excessive. I’m not so convinced about the peanut either. I don’t think it’s a complimentary element. I dont remember which blog but someone replaced it with popcorn, that probably would’ve been better, still salty without being overbearingly crunchy.


I have to say it wasn’t as rich and overbearing, as if the cooling element hardening the caramel and eating after having microwaved it a few seconds just isn’t as present as it was yesterday. I can’t it was as much of a success as the coconut brownies or plum cake or creme brulee were but I learned out to caramelize and having it be a learning experience is what counts.

No comments: