17 September, 2009

Mixed Nut Bars


Does anyone else have those big bags of mixed cracking nuts and eat only a few? Actually, I usually end up left with a big bowl of everything but walnuts.
Well here is a recipe that I used up the leftover mixed nuts (or you could just do like my Mom and put them away and bring them out again)

Well, speaking of OLD NUTS (no not you Mom), these are the mixed nut bars that I made with the 2009 Gergayan leftover nuts. Back when I made these, I actually sat down and figured out the nutritional information per serving. It was a little shocking, so I destroyed it. Luckily, I have a good memory for these types of things, and I believe these were fat free!




recipe:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cup mixed nuts (measure after you remove the shells)
3/4 cup corn syrup
3 tbsp butter
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

1. With a pastry blender, cut together the flour, icing sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Press into an un-greased 9" x 13" pan. Bake 12 minutes at 350F.

2. Sprinkle nuts over crust.

3. In saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter, butterscotch chips, and corn syrup. Pour over nuts. Bake 5 more minutes at 350F.

4. In another saucepan, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter. Spread over bars. Let stand until cool and cut into small rectangles (or big if you want, I don't care).

No comments: