11 September, 2009

Freedom Once Again


If you have school age children, you have likely been caught up in the hamster wheel of summer - "Mom, will drive my friend and I to the mall and then pick us up in three hours?" Or how about, "Mom, will you take us to the pool, and then Dairy Queen...and can we have a sleepover?"
Or then, there's the camping routine. You think that you are going to have a weekend of getting away, but really after grocery shopping and packing for the camping trip; and then washing the clothes and cleaning out the car after the trip; it just turned into a big treadmill of lots of extra work in exchange for a little fresh air!
So now that the summer is over - loved it, glad - it's now "you" time again.

So how will you spend it? Will it be working more? Cleaning more? Making more meals and running more errands?
Or...will you take a little more time for "me time?" Personally, I am torn with the idea of "me time" because I never have had much of it.






But here's what I'm going to do starting today to accomplish a little more of it:

1 15 minutes of each day, I will sit down and read something that I want to read. It will not be related to work or mail, or requests for events or invitations. It will be honest to goodness good reading. I will do this with the sun streaming into my front room on my favorite chair and with a nice glass of iced tea.

2 I will exercise daily either at my health club or with a yoga practice at home.

3 I will enjoy the house being clean all at one time at least once a week; before little hands and notebooks cover my glass tables and shoes and socks become strewn about!

4 On occasion I will throw all caution to the wind and stop at Nordstrom or Macy's after business appointments to spend an enjoyable few minutes browsing.

5 I will meet up with friends for coffee or lunch to visit and enjoy each other.

6 I will forgive myself if I worked all day and didn't also manage to get the house in order and the groceries bought for the evening meal.

I already got a great start to the new school year by having breakfast out with my Mom and Sister today. Then, giggling like school girls, we went to Macy's in the middle of the morning - and on a weekday!
Even though work was waiting for each of us; it was fun and a great start to "me" time this fall.





Take a Deep Breath :
Is stress getting the best of you today? Take a minute (literally) and do this simple breathing exercise from Exercisetv. It will calm you down and help you to get on with your day!
Clich here for the brief exercise breathing: http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/stretch/stress-less-4294

No comments: